How about a garage that is fast to construct, easy to maintain & can be multi-functional? Wouldn’t it be great if it lasted long as well? A metal garage is the answer to your needs. Let’s see some cost estimates.
You see, an average garage costs around $35 to $60 per square foot. The estimated cost of one car garage is $10,850 a two car garage is $23,900 & a three car garage is $35,450. This brings a national average of $23,900 [source: website].
Types of Metal Garage
1. Based on its Exterior:
a. Attached – it is connected to your main building from one side.
b. Detached – it is stand alone structure.
2. Based on its Interior:
a. Clear Span – There is no internal support column. You have complete freedom of floor plan.
b. Modular – there are interior columns to support the structural load.
Common metal garage sizes in America are
It is the smallest metal garage size you can build. Typical dimension is 12 feet wide and 22 feet long. That’s just large enough to store your vehicle. You can also get 12 feet by 20 feet which is 240 sq. ft. Most common sizes are:
- 14×22 ft.
- 18×20 ft.
- 16×24 ft.
- 14×24 ft.
It can hold two vehicles at the same time. The typical dimension is 20 feet in width and 22 feet in length. You can also get 20 feet by 20 feet which is 400 sq. ft. Most common sizes are:
- 22×22 ft.
- 20×22 ft.
- 20×30 ft.
- 24×24 ft.
- 24×26 ft.
It can hold three vehicles at the same time, along with some storage. The typical dimension is 30 feet in width and 22 feet in length. You can also get 32 feet by 24 feet which is 768 sq. ft. Most common sizes are:
- 32×22 ft.
- 30×40 ft.
4. More than three cars
These are some of the largest metal garage sizes. They may be
- 50×50 ft.
- 40×22 ft.
- 40×60 ft.
Check with local building codes, as some restrict maximum garage square footage.
5. In general, what are some generic standard metal building sizes?
|Type||Size (Regular Roof)||Cost|
|One Car||18×20||$6,000 to $10,000|
|Two Car||24×25||$11,000 to $16,000|
|Three Car||28×40||$20,000 to $25,000|
Note: This is a rough estimate. The final pricing will vary with steel cost, size, location, types of roofs, & add on.
Factors that affect the cost of standard garage sizes
Before purchasing your steel garage, you must consider the following aspects. They will help you in making the right decision.
What is your motive behind installing a steel garage? Is it for sheltering your vehicles? Or are you looking to use it as a multi-functional unit? Your intent matters. If you only want to use it as a car shed, you won’t need a finished interior. It will save you a lot of money.
● Your budget
Once your purpose is decided, you need to consider the pricing. This includes the following:
- Raw material cost – mark the fact that when you shop for metal structure, you shop for weight. So, when choosing a metal garage size, prefer choosing length over width. This will reduce the cost.
- Accessories cost – If you want to use your garage for other than parking, you will need to add insulators, vents, skylights, trim, gutters, or proper flooring.
- Foundation cost – the base of your car parking is essential, too. The best one is, of course, the concrete. However, you can go for asphalt for one car garage, too.
- Roof style – the best one is vertical. But, it is also the most expensive one. In decreasing order of cost, other options are – horizontal, regular, and flat.
- Type – What type of vehicle will you store? A sedan, a mini-truck, an RV, or any combo of them.
- Size – The width of the vehicle will decide the entry door size, and the height of your tallest vehicle will determine the roof height.
- Number – one, two, three, or more, how many cars do you need to shelter? This will decide how big a garage you will have.
● Your Location
First, your installation site–The shipping cost varies from place to place. So, check if your supplier offers free shipping & installation.
Second, your local building codes – some rules apply to certain areas. So, verify that your design & size meet the local regulations. If not, modify it to save yourself from future troubles.
● Future expansion possibilities
Americans love cars. 22.1% of homes have three or more vehicles in 2021, which is a 7.28% increase from 2017. So, if you have future plans to buy a new car or need an extra storage shed, consider getting a larger garage. Modification in a short time will cost you more.
You can choose any metal garage size, but what about its multi-functionality:
The most common uses of steel garages are –
- Livestock shelter
- Studio space
- Art gallery
- Rental property
- Guest house
- Mother-in-law suite
- Corner shop
- Storage unit
On The Whole:
Adding a garage to your property is an expensive affair. So, you have the full right to investigate and research before buying a metal garage. Picking up size is one of the most crucial factors here. Get free quotes from various suppliers before finalizing one.
You don’t want to end up with a garage that is too small or that does not fit on your property. So, choose wisely. If unsure, pick a size up. Extra space can be later used as multi-purpose storage. If you still have any confusion, ask your metal building dealer about it before buying.