Did you aware about ‘Dendroid’ a powerful virus, threatening smart phones nowadays.
Indian Cyber securities have warned the smart phone users to be alert of the tricky virus called “Dendroid” which could compromise your whole phone system. This is said to be a deadly virus of Trojan family which could change the command and the control server of the user’s personal android phone and intercept private SMS coming in and going out.
Moreover, this virus has the capability to steal all the information or data stored in your device like phone or tablet that is running on Android OS.
What is Dendroid?
Dendroid is a typically Trojan horse virus which once activated can transfer all your personal data stored in your mobile or tablet to the attackers instantly. It is a HTTP RAT (Remote admin tool), providing a sophisticated PHP administration panel and an application APK binder package to operate. It can completely take the command over your device and can compromise device security up to a greater extent.
According to the Computer Emergency Response Team India(CERT-IN), the malware is created by modifying the required permissions by any clean APK(Android Application Package) with Dendroid RAT functionality that allows the detailed management of the infected devices.
How Dendroid can hack your Android device?
CERT-In also added that this harmful virus can perform the following operations like:
- Changing the command and control server.
- Delete call logs.
- Open web pages.
- Record calls, dial any numbers.
- SMS interception.
- Upload videos and images to remote locations and open an application.
How can the users protect themselves from the dendroid virus?
Security experts have launched a manual to be followed to protect yourself from this harmful virus.
They are listed below:
- Initially go to your settings in mobile and set the option “Allow the installation of apps from unknown device” to false. In other words, uncheck the option which will restrict the inflow of unknown objects entering into the device.
- Install good anti-virus softwares that are available from the Google store. Use good reputed anti-virus like Avira, Mcaffe, Avast, AVG. Don’t forget to scan your device daily and keep your phone updated.
- Regularly check the device performance like battery life, data usage, etc. If unusual statistics are recorded, take the necessary steps to check for any changes in your mobile activities. If you find any unrecognized app in your mobile, better uninstall that immediately to avoid any further loss.
- Don’t connect the device to any unverified networks like Wi-fi, Bluetooth, VPN, etc. Attackers often use these networks to distribute the malicious codes to your mobiles.
- Try to take regular backups of your data in phone and also keep your OS updated.
- While installing any other app from the Google play store, be sure to check the policies, terms and conditions and the permission lists it wants to access. If unnecessary permissions are required Contacts, Messages, Internal memory, etc immediately revoke the process and better stop the installation before knowing the app clearly.
Similar other Viruses that threatens the smart phone users:
This is a similar kind of Trojan horse virus that attacks your android device and steals all the personal data. This is a destructive program disguised as an application, which has infected many number of PC’s. It has taken control of many devices stealing the personal banking details.
Recently, it is said that this harmful virus have started to attack the android devices which has threatened the security experts of the world.
This is another virus that has become nightmare to the security experts. Droiddream is the mobile botnet type of malware which once activated steals the unique identification number of your phone.
Once compromised, a Droiddream infected phone could also download any additional malicious programs without the user’s knowledge as well as open the phone up to the control of hackers.
These viruses were distributed mainly through the third party apps that were available in the Google play store. Thus, Google removed these apps from the marketplace and had to utilize its “kill switch” method to remotely wipe off these viruses that was distributed already in few android devices.
This is also a family of Trojan horse virus which targets the smart phones powered by android operating systems. This virus is also too smart to access your text messages, record calls, and your GPS history too.
It can also additionally answer to the phone calls and send the user’s private phone number to the remote site without the user’s knowledge.
Join My Newsletter to get latest updates in your inbox.
Share this post, if you enjoyed reading.